Tuesday, May 25, 2010

{TUTU PHOTOGRAPHER FEATURE} Samantha Wacker Photography located in Florida



So its a little late in the day... business was crazy this morning, but I couldn't forget my commitment to feature a photographer customer of mine every week.

This week's feature photographer is Samantha Wacker of Samantha Wacker Photography located in Florida. I was excited when Samantha agreed to let me feature her, she ordered her first tutu from me a few years back and I have to say she does some great work!! I used to sneek peaks at her blog to see the latest wedding shots she had taken, you can always see the FUN in her work.

Check out her website & blog at:
Website: http://www.samanthawackerphotography.com/
Blog: http://www.samanthawackerphotography.blogspot.com/

So lets chat photography and more with Samantha....

How did you find yourself in photography?

I have always loved photography, but it wasn't a true passion until I had my children. After I had my daughter I would surf the web and think "I would love to have that photo of A..." and once my second child was born I knew it was time for me to get my first DSLR. After working with a 35mm film camera for so many years I thought I would know everything right away....NOT the case! :) Digital is so different, but in a good way! I sometimes get so wrapped up with my work now that I forget the real reason I started this...for my kids. I want them to be able to flip through album upon album of photos from their childhood and see our family the way I do!


What is your specialty?

I do believe that every photographer has a talent. Some photographers are amazing with weddings, but not so much with the newborns. I have to say though, I love it all. If I had to choose I think it would be newborns/babies/toddlers (no, I couldn't choose just one). They are the most challenging! It is so rewarding to me when I leave a session and the parent says "he was so rotten, I'll be surprised if we got ANY good photos!" Once I show them the proofs they either cry of joy or they're speechless! It's the best feeling...EVER! I have yet to have an unsuccessful session!

Do your prefer to shoot indoors or out?

Honestly I LOVE shooting outdoors! Don't get me wrong, I love the studio shots too (some of my favorite photos are done from my studio), but outside is amazing. The light, the setting, the colors...it's all amazing! Kids will be themselves and parents feel at ease. I guess it's reassuring for parents when you get someone who is willing to dance with a 2 year old or sing (horribly) to the Little Mermaid! :) In the studio it's a little more like "business" to a kid! I LOVE being able to get kids out of whatever "funk" they show up in.


Do you have any tips for other aspiring photographers?

Every child dreaded hearing their parents say "practice makes perfect" but it's SO true! I haven't taken any photography classes or attended any pricey workshops...everything is self taught and I like to think that I have done really well for myself. All of it has been through practice and determination though. Find your "style" and go with it. Not everyone is going to love your work so don't let your feelings get hurt. Take constructive criticism when it's offered...especially if it comes from a professional photographer.


What is your favorite thing about Hannah's Tutus?

Ahhh, where to begin? Lisa has become a master of the tulle! :) Not one of the tutus that I have from her has come to me wrinkled, thin, or plain! She makes sure they are as full as they can possibly be (which was the main thing that drew me to her tutus). Every last piece of tulle and ribbon is in an exact place making sure it looks fabulous!!! On top of the awesome tutus, Lisa's business etiquette is phenomenal. I think that is key to making a business run smoothly. I literally have NO complaints about her or her products. Having 3 kids myself, I know how tough it can be sometimes to get work done (especially when you stay home with the children and work in between diapers, meals, cleaning, and arguments), but Lisa makes sure her turn-around time is quick! I don't think I could say enough good things about her...



PS ... I know many of you also are like myself and Samantha and working your business around the lives of your children.. in the near future I hope to do a post on sharing how to make your business work around your family .. its hard .. I have 3 children and all are preschool age and under although I work a Mon-Fri business my actual hours are crazy some days I get up and work 6-8 am logging orders before the kids get up ... then I wait til nap time and do replys ... then at 5 I start actually making orders til the late hours and nowadays business has become so busy that I actually have a college student help me .. she is a GOD SEND, some days she watches the kids some days she helps prep orders ... managing a business around a crazy family schedule sure takes alot of energy but I love what I do!! When a customer sends a picture and says thank you for making her birthday outfit .. it makes my job worth every moment!

No comments: